Our Five Ring Circus: RSV

Thursday, February 2, 2012

RSV

My sweet Lilybug is under the weather.

Photobucket

It all started with what I thought was a minor cold last week. It is difficult to tell how Lily is feeling, because she is always so happy! But on Saturday night, I knew something was bothering her. She began to stand up, arch her back, and grunt, over and over again.

She was very restless on Sunday night, which is also odd behavior for her.

On Monday, she was grumpy. I had a party planning meeting, and even though the other moms assured me that she was acting fine, I knew something was wrong. Later that morning, she nursed, then proceeded to throw up her entire meal all over me. The rest of the day, she was fine.

On Tuesday, her breathing sounded off. It was rapid, and she sounded wheezy. I knew it was something more than a cold, even if she wasn't acting like something was wrong.

That night she was completely restless, couldn't breathe well, and had a difficult time eating. Even though she didn't cry, I knew she was sick. First thing Wednesday morning, I made an appointment with her pediatrician.

My instinct told me that she had RSV and a possible ear infection. I wasn't surprised when the pediatrician confirmed my suspicion.

Lily's pediatrician listened to her lungs for several minutes, completed the exam, and then returned to listen to her lungs again. He said she was on the edge of needing breathing treatments. Had she been just a bit worse, he would have sent us to the hospital. Thank God she wasn't!!!

I absolutely love her pediatrician. He owns the practice, and even though I love the other doctors, he is my favorite. He is older, and reminds me of Mr. Rogers! He is incredible with kids. All of mine have responded so well to him. Lily was mesmerized by him during the entire exam. She locked eyes with him and just kept smiling.

As he walked out the door, he shook his head, and told me, "My, is she is cute! I can tell she's sick just by looking at her, but she definitely isn't acting sick!"

Unfortunately, she is sick. She is on medication for the ear infection, and we're doing everything we can to ease her discomfort, and praying that she kicks this RSV! Right now, she sounds like a baby Darth Vader!

Even though I did manage to capture just how sick she is, my sweet girl keeps on smiling! Nothing stops her!

Photobucket

20 comments:

  1. Aw, poor sweetie! Glad you trusted your mother's instinct!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, look at her poor little lip stuck out she's so sad!

    The wheezing viruses have been bad this year. Cort finally got sent home with a nebulizer last week - after 3 trips in for breathing treatments.

    I hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor litte ladybug! Two weeks ago, RSV was going around J's classroom - in one week 7-8 of the 12 kids came down with it! J is prone to wheezing, so we give nebulizer treatments a lot in the winter. I hope Lily gets to feeling better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Lilybug!!! Hopefully she is back to herself again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, not poor lily boo :(! Thank goodness you followed your instincts. A while back, I didn't and my daughter also had an ear infection and I felt really bad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, poor baby! :( She is so cute in her ladybug outfit...even if she is sick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to comment again. That first picture just kills me! I just want to pick her up!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor baby!! :( I'm glad she wasn't hospitalized. Get well soon Lily!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope she gets to feeling better soon. She sure as heck looks happy in those pics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH! That's so sad! I hope she gets feeling better! I am glad through it all she is still smiling! Must get it from her mommy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor baby! My youngest is sick now, too and it is hard on this mom. I know it upsets me to see them sick.

    thecuriousgeorges11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww! That first picture is both just so pathetic and cute at the same time. She manages to make sick look cute.

    I hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ouchie! my heart melts on the first photo. good thing shes still smiling. hope she gets well soon!

    hugs,
    marice

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man poor girl!! Glad you know what's wrong and hoping she gets better real soon!!! Give her extra hugs from me :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. way to go Momma's instinct! Poor baby girl, she looks so sad, but still so precious...

    hope she's back to her normal, smiling-self VERY soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Poor thing! She looks so sad in that first picture! I'm glad you figured out what it was before she got really sick! Hopefully the meds will work fast and she will feel better really soon. We have a doctor in our practice that reminds me of Mr. Rogers too...he is one of mine and the boys' favs:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, poor Lily! She looks SO sad in the first one. :( Mommy instincts are amazing, aren't they? I hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I believe that is the first picture I've seen of her sad! So glad it's rare! I hope you're feeling better already Lily!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope she feels better soon. What a sad picture! All the pictures are super cute! I hope you are doing well my friend! Have a great day!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I just saw this. I am glad she is doing better now!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Let's chat!!!